VOLUNTEERING OPPORTUNITIES AT TECC
The Ethical Computer Company:
Initial visit arranged at a mutually agreeable time. If you decide to join us then as and when you wish.
What type of activity?
- Computer re-use
- Community enterprise
- Computer training
- UK online centre: helping users negotiate the computer-assisted learning
- Outreach training: taking learning opportunities out to users in local community meeting places, technical support with outreach equipment
- Retail shop: merchandising, dealing with customers, recording, admin
- e-commerce shop: listing products, order fulfilment, recording, admin
- All computer-related activities, from refurbishing to website design, sales & marketing, management, training, fundraising.
For some, volunteering can be a route to employment, or a chance to try something new which may lead to a career change. From this perspective, volunteering can be a way of:
- Gaining new skills, knowledge and experience
- Developing existing skills and knowledge
- Enhancing a CV
- Improving one's employment prospects
- Gaining an accreditation
- Using one's professional skills and knowledge to benefit others (usually described as pro bono)
For others, volunteering appeals because of its social benefits. These include:
- Meeting new people
- Making new friends
- A chance to socialise
- Getting to know the local community